This Italian white bean soup with fennel, kale, and San Marzano tomatoes is flavored with garlic, crushed red pepper, basil, and smoked paprika.
You can use chicken broth in this soup, or to keep it vegetarian/vegan, you can use my favorite vegetable broth recipe.
This soup is amazing.
The recipe for this soup calls for canned San Marzano diced tomatoes. If you can’t find them, use a good quality canned diced tomato.
For the kale, I used Lacinato. It’s much darker than typical kale.. almost blue green. The leaves are large and dimpled. I love its sweet flavor.
This soup is delicious topped with freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese.
I made this soup in honor of Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla. She is the host of this month’s Soup Saturday Swappers. She chose the theme, Spring Soups. She is one of the most prolific bloggers I know.
She sent me the book, Pretty Simple Cooking (how sweet is that?), so when she announced this month’s theme, I had to grab the book!
You can make a big batch of this soup ahead and enjoy it for days. It’s great served with crusty bread such as sourdough or baguettes.
This month, the Soup Saturday group is offering Spring Soups. Be sure to check out everyone’s recipes.
Cannellini and Fennel Soup with Tomatoes and Kale
Author: Karen Kerr
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 – 28 ounce can of diced San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 -15 ounce can of diced San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan or Pecorino cheese for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the fennel and sauté for four minutes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices. Add the bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the kale, crushed red pepper, basil, paprika, salt, and lots of grinds of black pepper.
- Simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes, until the kale is cooked through.
- Discard the bay leaf and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with the cheeses (optional).
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
soup, vegan, vegetarian