One of the things I like about this cinnamon swirl pumpkin roll recipe is, while it is incredibly tasty and sweet, it is relatively low in fat compared to most cinnamon roll recipes (I said “relatively” so take this with a grain of salt), compared to most cinnamon bun recipes. It is also easy to make.
Just throw all of the ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and knead. If you have a kitchen scale, you don’t even have to get much else dirty.
These roles are best served warm fresh out of the oven. The next day, I recommend a 10 second turn in the microwave to freshen them up. Really tasty.
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls Recipe
8 ounces (by weight) canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
2 ounces warm water (less if it’s really humid)
2 ounces softened butter
10.5 ounces unbleached all purpose flour
7 ounces white whole wheat flour
1 ounce dry milk powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 ounces brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
3/4 C sugar
1 T ground cinnamon
2 ounces confectioners’ sugar
1/4 ounce butter
1 3/4 tsp milk
- Add all of the dough ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir until the ingredients are moistened.
- Knead the ingredients with the dough hook for about 7 minutes, until you have a smooth dough.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise for about 90 minutes, until doubled.
- Roll the dough out into a 14″ by 22″ rectangle.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar over the dough, leaving 1 inch of a short edge free.
- Roll the dough up into a log, ending with the short end that is not covered with filling (so that you can seal up the log).
- Cut the dough into 9 equal pieces and place them into an oiled 9 inch square pan. Pat them down so that the pieces touch.
- Cover and let rise for about an hour. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Turn the rolls out onto a wire rack to cool and make the glaze by mixing the ingredients.
- While the rolls are still warm, drizzle them with the glaze.