This coconut red curry halibut with rice takes only about 15 minutes to prep, and about 20 minutes to cook, making it an easy weeknight meal.
This is a dish I will make again and again. Seriously, no hyperbole, it’s really good. The rice is flavored with ginger, scallions, and mushrooms, and very hearty. The fish is cooked on top of the rice so that its juices can seep into the rice, adding more flavor. The fish is topped with some of the coconut curry sauce before cooking, and then with more when serving.
While I used halibut, any mild firm white fish will work in this dish, such as cod, rockfish, or haddock. I just happened to have some wonderful Alaskan halibut that my cousin brought back from a fishing trip. I am soooo lucky!!
This dish is perfect for a quick family meal or a casual dinner party for four. We had it with a green salad. The leftovers are really good too!
This month, the Fish Friday Foodies, created by my friend Wendy, are making fish with curry, a theme chosen by Sneha, who blogs from India!
If you would like a collection of delicious recipes for fish with curry, you definitely need to check out the links at the end of this post.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 8 ounce can of bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 5 scallions, green and white separated, and then thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 (6 ounce) halibut filets, about 1 to 1.5 inches thick
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the rice, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, ginger, and scallion whites. Cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes. Add the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, whisk the coconut and curry paste together in a small bowl. Pat the halibut dry, and salt and pepper both sides.
- Place the fish filets on top of the rice and pour about half of the curry sauce over the fish. Cover and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the interior of the fish reaches 140 degrees.
- While the fish is cooking, heat the remaining curry sauce in the microwave.
- Serve the fish with the extra coconut curry sauce and lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings
Adapted from One-Pan Wonders