These crispy chicken taquitos are stuffed with a mixture of shredded rotisserie chicken, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, and green chilis and then baked until crispy and ready for dipping.
I have always loved taquitos, but I’ve never made them at home because they typically require deep frying.
I love deep fried food, but making it at home has always bugged me because I hate having to use so much oil that I’ll have to toss out.
While these taquitos aren’t “exactly” the same as the deep fried version, they come pretty darn close, and they were a huge hit with my taste testers. In fact, you can make a double batch of these, refrigerate them, and bake them in a 350 degree F oven to reheat and re-crisp them.
You can also freeze the baked taquitos to reheat later at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes straight from the freezer.
How to make oven baked taquitos:
- First, you mix shredded rotisserie chicken with ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, canned green chilis, and spices.
- Next, you lightly oil warmed corn tortillas and fill them with the chicken mixture.
- Finally, you bake the taquitos in a hot oven until they are browned and crispy.
Be sure to use the freshest corn tortillas you can find to minimize cracking. You will get some cracking, but don’t worry. The taquitos will still be delicious.
Suggested toppings for taquitos:
I served these taquitos with salsa, a mixture of sour cream and sriracha, and some scallions. Of course, if you have some ripe avocados, be sure to make up your favorite guacamole recipe.
More Mexican-style Recipes:
Rotisserie Chicken Recipes From Our Dinner Table!
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Crispy Baked Chicken Taquitos
Author: Karen Kerr
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounce can of mild green chilis
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 18 six inch corn tortillas (white or yellow)
- Neutral vegetable oil for coating the tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream (mixed with sriracha or hot sauce) for serving
How to cook Crispy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Prepare the filling mixture in a medium bowl (chicken, ricotta, cheddar, chilis, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic, and salt) by mixing thoroughly.
- Stack the tortillas in twos between damp paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds to soften.
- Lightly oil a plate and place and tortilla on top of the oil. Add two tablespoons of filling and roll up the tortilla tightly. Place the taquito on the oiled pan, seam side down. Immediately rush or spray with more oil. This will help prevent cracking.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Bake the taquitos for 20 to 25 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Serve with the salsa, sour cream and sriracha sauce, cilantro, and guacamole.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Taquitos, rotisserie chicken
This recipe was adapted from Simply Recipes.