Dark chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate dough. Chocolate chips. Just chocolate.
These cookies are rich and chewy, and completely decadent. Plus, you can make the dough in advance, refrigerate or freeze it, and bake the cookies when you need them. Perfect for holiday gifts, right?
The dough for these cookies is formed into a log, refrigerated or frozen depending on your timeline, and then sliced and baked. You will need to place the cookies two inches apart on your baking sheet, because the dough will spread quite a bit.
I used a mix of mini semi sweet and large bittersweet chocolate chips in these cookies. This dough could easily lend itself to other combinations and flavors.
Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
155 g unbleached all purpose flour (about 1 1/4 C)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C room temperature unsalted butter
100 g light brown sugar (1/2 C firmly packed)
6 T granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 T Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted through a strainer
170 grams bittersweet chocolate chips
170 grams semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar on medium speed for about a minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix for another minute.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture and mix for another minute.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until just incorporated.
- Add the chips and mix briefly until mixed in.
- Divide the dough in two and form into two 9 inch long logs and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice each log into 16 pieces and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 14 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Keep in an air tight container for up to four days.
I am participating in 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Check out all of the treats everyone made this week!