Greek salad has such a fresh flavor. It is typically tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives drizzled with an olive oil based dressing. It can also include red onions and green bell peppers. Unlike what you might find at a Greek fast food restaurant around here, there is no lettuce heavily drenched in creamy “Greek” dressing.
It’s such a simple and delicious combination of flavors. In fact, one of my most popular posts over the years has been these Greek Salad Skewers (which are pretty much this salad on toothpicks).
It’s Secret Recipe Club time once again, and this month, my assignment is Erin’s blog, Making Memories with your Kids. Erin is a single mom with two kids who is also a middle school counselor. She loves to bake, cook, and craft with her kids, and loves making lifetime memories this way. It’s also a great way to drag the kids away from Pokemon and Mine Craft!
Erin has a lot of family friendly recipes on her blog, including this Cheesy Egg and Hash Brown Casserole (can’t wait to try it!), and these Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes (which I’ve already made and will be posting soon… so delicious Erin!!!). Finally, I decided to make this salad, partly because I had some leftover feta cheese from making this amazing Kale and Pesto Stuffed Cod.
I had just made some spelt pitas, so I stuffed one of them with some roast turkey and this delicious salad. What a wonderful lunch!
- One medium cucumber, chopped
- 10 ounces (about one basket) of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce white wine vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of dried oregano, crushed
- Note: I also added a bit of diced red onion to the salad
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese (and optional onions) to a medium bowl.
- In a small jar, add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano. Close the lid on the jar and shake to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat all of the vegetables.
Yield: Serves 4