I have never been much of an eggplant fan, but this Italian style grilled eggplant changed my entire perspective about the vegetable.
To make this grilled eggplant, I used a grill pan on my stovetop. I brushed slices of the eggplant with a mixture of olive oil, granulated onion, crushed red pepper, and granulated garlic.
I topped the grilled slices with shaved Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs, and covered the slices with a domed lid to slightly melt the cheese.
For me, making this grilled eggplant was an experiment, so I only bought one in case I hated the results.
When I pulled these off the grill pan, I promptly ate two slices and pretty much wanted to eat the rest.
This quick and easy grilled eggplant dish would be great for a quick dinner for two (or double it for four) with a steak, salad, and garlic bread. Once you’ve prepared your steaks on the grill, tent them and let them rest. While the grill is still hot, take ten minutes to make this eggplant side dish. I promise, your guests will love it.
This recipe has been inspired by the book Mark Bittman’s Kitchen Matrix: More than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities. Over 700 recipes in 300 pages! This recipe came from the section Grilled Eggplant +12 Ways.
There are four sections: indirect grilling (rounds), indirect grilling (halves), medium-heat direct grilling (planks), and high-heat direct grilling (whole).
I’m spending a year cooking through sections of the book with Wendy of A Day in the Life on The Farm and Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Check out Camilla’s and Wendy’s eggplant.
eggplant, grilling, parmesan
side dish, grilling
Grilled Eggplant with Garlic and Parmesan
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- 8 – 3/4 inch eggplant rounds (about 4 to 5 inches in diameter)
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Mix the olive oil, granulated onion, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the eggplant rounds with the olive oil mixture.
- Heat a grill pan, gas grill, or charcoal grill over high heat. Grill the eggplant on one side for 5 minutes. Flip the slices and cover with the Parmesan and panko. Continue to grill for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
How to stay up to date with Karen’s Kitchen Stories?
Check out my recipe index for more amazing recipes.