These Gruyère, Roasted Pepper, and Thyme Muffins are wonderful with eggs and bacon for breakfast, or a green salad for lunch.
The flavor of these muffins is mild and fresh, and they are delicious warm. They are also really tasty spread with a little salted butter.
One of my favorite cheeses is Gruyère, especially in baked goods. It melts so perfectly! Rather than grating the cheese, I cut it into a small dice so that the cheese would not completely disappear into the batter. When the muffins are warm, you get little pockets of melty cheese, and a few bits of cheese oozing out of the muffin!
After the recipe, be sure to check out the rest of the muffins baked by the rest of the Muffin Monday bakers, hosted by Stacy of Food Lust People Love.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all purposed flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, cut into quarter inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the red bell pepper into 1 inch strips and toss with the olive oil. Roast the peppers on a foil lined baking sheet for 30 minutes, turning them over half way through roasting. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When cooled, dice into 1/4 inch pieces. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 12 cavity muffin tin with spray oil, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Mix in the Gruyère and the thyme.
- In a large measuring cup, mix the buttermilk, egg, and olive oil. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, and stir just until there are no more streaks of flour. Gently fold in the red peppers.
- Using an ice cream scooper, evenly distribute the batter among the muffing cavities. Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin pan to a wire rack and let cool for five minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool a bit more. Serve warm.
- Individually wrap leftovers or keep in an airtight container.
Yield: 12 muffins
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.