As an avid bread baker, I normally don’t use prepackaged pizza dough or bread dough, but I’m not such a snob that I don’t recognize that these products have their place, and are actually pretty cool.
To bring out the flavor of the frozen dough, I defrosted them in the refrigerator overnight. Next, I pressed the dough into flat rounds so that they would form into buns and then let them rise again until they doubled in size before I baked them.
In the photo below, you can see the thawed dough, with one of the pieces rolled out flat.
How to Prepare Make-ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches:
After baking the rolls, you will need to make the eggs and bacon. There are several ways to make the eggs, including just scrambling in a pan on the stovetop or cooking them in ramekins.
I chose to bake the eggs in the oven and then cut out circles with a cookie cutter for the sandwiches. You can actually save the scraps in the refrigerator and reheat them for a breakfast burrito.. or just breakfast! Who cares what they look like?
While baking the eggs, bake the bacon in the oven on an upper shelf of the oven (where has baking bacon been all my life?).
Once you’ve got the rolls, the eggs, and the bacon, stack the ingredients in the split rolls and add some cheese. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and stick them in the freezer for a week of breakfasts.
How do you serve/reheat these breakfast sandwiches?
There are several ways to serve or reheat these sandwiches. The easiest way to serve them is to remove them from the freezer, wrap them in damp paper towels, and then microwave them for about 2 minutes.
Another more complicated option is to defrost the sandwiches in the refrigerator. You can microwave the eggs and bacon, toast the bread in the toaster oven, and add back the cheese once all of the ingredients are hot.
You can also reheat the foil wrapped sandwiches in the oven.
Finally, if you’d rather not freeze the sandwiches, you can refrigerate all of the components of the sandwiches separately, nuke or bake the components, and then assemble the sandwiches.
I used American cheese for these breakfast sandwiches, but any “real” cheese would work.
More Great Breakfast Recipes:
How to serve these sandwiches:
You can serve these sandwiches with salsa or ketchup. You can also add some lettuce or other greens to the sandwiches.
Make-ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
Author: Karen Kerr
These make-ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches are an easy way to have a portable hot breakfast ready all week long.
For the Buns
- 6 buns from Rhodes Frozen dinner rolls, thawed overnight.
For the Eggs
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 slices cheese
How to cook Make-ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
To make the Rolls
- Thaw the roll dough overnight in the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin to flatten them.
- Place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool on an wire rack.
To Make the Sandwiches
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. with a rack on the lower third and upper third.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the milk and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture into a greased 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add the bacon.
- Place the eggs on the lower rack and the bacon on the upper rack.
- Bake the eggs and bacon for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Split and toast the rolls.
- Cut the eggs into rounds (save the scraps).
- Top the rolls with the eggs, cheese, and bacon.
- Wrap the sandwiches with foil and freeze for up to one month.
- See notes above for reheating instructions.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
breakfast, eggs, sandwiches
For more information about all of the giveaway sponsors, scroll down.
The giveaway includes the following prizes:
- Omega Pal’s Prize Pack from Barleans
- 1 item (winner’s choice from featured products) from Hamilton Beach
- Cookbook and coupons from Rhodes Bread
- 4 six-pack bags of Crispy Fruit snacks (mixed flavors) from Crispy Green
- Best Sellers Collection Gift Box from The Spice House
- Freezable Lunch Bag + Mod Lunch Bento from PackIt
Official Rules and Conditions: One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Open to US residents 18+ only. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 08/21/2019. Enter using the widget below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway