These Mexican hot chocolate cookies are deeply chocolaty, and spiced with cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
I used lots of Dutch-processed cocoa in these cookies. I love the deep color it adds, as well as the rich chocolate flavor. It’s not always available in grocery stores, but there are many sources for buying it online.
This month, the Creative Cookie Exchange members are offering cookies that last in a tin. I think these cookies are perfect for packing up and sending across country to friends and family.
cookies, chocolate, Dutch chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/3 cups (6 2/3 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (2 1/4 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder. I used Rodelle.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sparkling sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar on medium high until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Beat in the egg. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll each into 6 inch logs. Wrap each log with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 375 degrees F and fill a plate with the sparkling sugar mixed with the remaining teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll each log in the sugar cinnamon mixture to fully coat. Press the sugar/cinnamon mixture into the dough.
- Cut each log into 24 equal sized pieces and place them on one of the baking sheets. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Move the cookies to a wire rack.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country Magazine. Subscribe!
Welcome to the Creative Cookie Exchange. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.