Aren’t these cute? Tiny tortilla shells filled with a lime and cilantro marinated chicken, Napa and red cabbage, salsa, and cumin sauce. Adorable. You can eat them in one bite. So pop-able.
I’ve made the flour tortilla version (above), and the corn tortilla version (below). Super cute.
I love the combination of flavors.
This recipe is seriously easy to make in advance. To make it even easier, you could use store bought Scoops instead.
Mini Chicken Tostadas
To make in advance, prepare all of the components and store each separately. The tortilla cups should be stored at room temperature in an air tight container. The rest of the ingredients should be stored in the refrigerator. Assemble right before serving.
1/4 C Vegetable oil
6 T fresh lime juice
1/2 C fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast
6 8-inch flour tortillas (or corn tortillas for flat tostadas)
2 T sour cream
1/2 tsp ground cumin that has been lightly toasted in a dry skillet
1/4 C finely sliced Napa cabbage
1/4 C finely sliced red cabbage
- Marinade the chicken in a mixture of 1/4 C vegetable oil, 3 T lime juice, 1/4 C cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Grill, broil, or pan fry the chicken about five minutes per side, until completely cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to cool, and then cut it into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the tortillas with spray oil on one side and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut the tortillas into circles. Press the circles into a mini muffin tin to form cups. You can use pie weights or dry beans to hold the tortillas down if they keep popping up. (spray corn tortillas on both sides with the spray oil and bake on a cookie sheet)
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Mix the sour cream, cumin, and 1 T lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the chicken with the rest of the cilantro, 2 T lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Combine the Napa and red cabbage.
- To assemble the tostadas, layer the cups with a little chicken, a little mixed cabbage, a little salsa, and a little cumin/sour cream sauce, and serve right away.