These Oatmeal Pear Bars are a delicious “grab and go” breakfast for busy mornings.
Welcome to Back to School Treats Week! We are sharing lots of recipes perfect for Back to School. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #BacktoSchoolTreats week recipes. All opinions are my own.
Make a batch of these oatmeal pear bars on a Sunday afternoon, and after they cool, wrap them up and refrigerate to serve later for a quick breakfast.
These pear and oat bars also make a great after school snack. I love that they are made with pears too. They are so sweet and fruity. You probably could use apples, but there is something elegant and wonderful about pears.
I’m a big fan of fruit filled bars, such as these cranberry crumble bars or these blackberry lemon bars. They are a really good excuse to have cookies for breakfast…. because they are shaped like bars, they are not really cookies, right?
You will need butter, flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, an egg yolk, vanilla, 2 cups of finely chopped pears, and maple syrup.
- For the brown sugar, I used one of our prize sponsor’s products, Dixie Crystals. They are such a wonderful and generous company with a fabulous history.
Tips for Making These Oatmeal Pear Bars:
- First, the crust ingredients will seem really dry, and you will think that you should add more butter. Don’t worry about it because once you layer on the pears, they will add a lot of moisture.
- Second, when you assemble the bars before baking, you will worry about the bars being too thin. Again, no worries because they will rise in the oven to just the right height.
- Finally, when you cook the diced pears, there will be a lot of excess liquid in the pan. you will worry about straining out all of that delicious juiciness. Trust me, there is plenty of juicy goodness left in the pears to add plenty of moisture to the bars.
This recipe makes 16 oatmeal pear bars. Pack up one or two bars, a hard boiled egg or a slice of ham, and a cup of coffee or tea, and you have the perfect commuter breakfast.
Check out these #BacktoSchoolTreats recipes from our Bloggers:
Back to School Breakfasts:
Back to School Snacks:
Back to School Desserts:
Back to School Drinks:
After the recipe, be sure to check out all of the wonderful opportunities to win some fabulous prizes and ingredients to take your recipes to new levels.
Oatmeal Pear Bars Recipe
Author: Karen Kerr
These Oatmeal Pear Bars are a delicious “grab and go” breakfast for busy mornings.
- 3/4 cup (106 grams/3.75 ounces) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (70 grams/2 3/8 ounces) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and finely diced pears (about 2 large or 3 medium pears)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
How to cook Oatmeal Pear Bars Recipe
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with spray oil.
- Line the pan with parchment paper, with the paper hanging over the edges of the pan on two sides. Spray the paper with spray oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium speed, about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and beat until combined.
- On low speed, mix in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spread 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared pan and press down to make sure it is evenly spread over the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.
- In a sauce pan, cook the pears and the maple syrup over medium head for about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, spread the cooked pears over the top of the baked crust. Crumble the rest of the oatmeal mixture over the top of the pears.
- Bake the pan for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- Remove the 8 inch square baked ingredients from the pan by lifting up the foil. Cut into 16 bars with a large chef’s knife.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
oatmeal, pears, breakfast bars
Summer is winding down, and we are celebrating with #BacktoSchoolTreats hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
All week-long 30 bloggers will be sharing 100+ fantastic recipes for both parents and kids, with breakfasts, snacks, desserts, and drinks to get you back in the school routine. Thank you sponsors for providing the prize packages. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a Keurig K-Select Single-Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Maker.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. For generations, Dixie Crystals has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations. Our pure cane, non-GMO sugar products guarantee that treasured family recipes will turn out right every time. Bake with love and Dixie Crystals.
SWEETS & TREATS
It means that not only are the products we make inclusive and approachable, but so is our success. We believe everything starts with people, and the only way to truly succeed is to succeed together. Today, you can use more than 100 of our naturally flavored syrups, sauces and beverage bases in coffees, sodas, teas, smoothies, cocktails and more.
TAYLOR & COLLEDGE
Taylor & Colledge is giving one winner a selection of their gourmet extract pastes, including Organic Vanilla Bean Baking Paste, Lavender Baking Paste, Almond Baking Paste, Coconut Baking Paste, Lemon Baking Paste, and Peppermint Baking Paste.
Taylor & Colledge has been making award winning Vanilla products since 1897. As a family owned business, Taylor & Colledge has always been committed to the fair, ethical and sustainable sourcing of Vanilla. Over the years they have pioneered a number of country specific programs to support growers, their families and to make the vanilla industry more sustainable. They have also taken this knowledge and expertise and applied it to their full range of baking pastes.
Whether it’s sourcing the finest peppermint (mentha piperita) to make the best Peppermint Oil, or using only real Almond Milk and Oil of Bitter Almond for their natural Almond Extract Paste, Taylor & Colledge is committed to transform your baking with premium quality pastes, made with only the finest ingredients from around the world.
Flahavan’s is giving one winner an oat prize package including a jar for overnight oats and a selection of Rolled Oats, Quick to Cook Oats, and Steel Cut Oats.
Ireland’s oldest family-owned food business is situated at the family mill in the Southeast of Ireland. Flahavan’s can trace its oat milling history back to 1785 and its expertise in producing naturally creamy oatmeal back over 230 years. A seven-generation family business, Flahavan’s is the bestselling oatmeal brand in Ireland, where people eat more oatmeal per capita than anywhere else in the world. Flahavan’s is a founding member of Origin Green, the first-ever national initiative to mandate 100% sustainability for food exports.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you to #BacktoSchoolTreats Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Taylor & Colledge, and Flahavan’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BacktoSchoolTreats recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BacktoSchoolTreats giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Five (5) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and alternate winner(s) will be chosen. The #BacktoSchoolTreats Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #BacktoSchoolTreats posts or entry.