Imagine a sable cookie… only it’s not a cookie, it’s a savory herb butter cracker that is perfect with an aperitif or a glass of white wine before an elegant dinner.
Are you planning a dinner party? These are perfect.
Or…. imagine yourself sitting at a bistro or brasserie in Paris or Aix en Provence with a few friends, a plate of these, and a bottle of champagne. (Be sure to invite me btw)
These crackers would also make an excellent hostess gift. I was able to use some of my home grown thyme… always a win.
Make ahead tip: You can freeze this dough for up to a month and slice and bake the wafers.
Parmesan & Thyme Crackers
Yield: About 36 crackers.
4 ounces (one stick) room temperature unsalted butter
4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black or mixed pepper (I use mixture of black, white, green, and red peppercorns)
6 1/4 ounces (1 1/4 C) unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter for a minute.
- Leaving the mixer on low speed, add the cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add the flour and mix for about a minute.
- Add the tsp of water, mix for a couple of seconds, and turn off the mixer.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter and push it together into a ball.
- Roll the dough into a 9 inch log and wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 4 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the log into slightly less than 1/4 inch slices and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 22 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Be careful not to over bake or they will taste bitter. they should be lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.