I think the electric griddle I thought I’d use all the time is a little aggravated though….
This chili is super creamy and spicy. It gets its creaminess from refried beans. Who knew using refried beans as a thickener would be so tasty? (Probably everyone but me). This chili also makes terrific leftovers.
It really doesn’t need any garnish besides a squeeze of lime and some fresh cilantro.
|Self portrait in a spoon|
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Six servings – Use a 5 to 7 quart slow cooker.
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
20 ounces of ground turkey, divided into chunks
2 C beef broth
1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes, juice included
2 15 ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
1 15 ounce can refried beans
2 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 T finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 T tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh limes and cilantro to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook for about four or five minutes.
- Add the turkey and brown it for about five minutes.
- Place the onion and turkey into the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, refried beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, chipotles, and tomato paste, and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.