This Waffle Casserole with Maple Sausage, including eggs, cheese, and brown sugar along with the waffles and sausage is an amazing savory, yet slightly sweet, breakfast casserole.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
There are several brands of maple sausage available. I used sausage links, which I broke up into chunks. You can also use sausage patties or bulk sausage.
For the cheese, I used a sharp white cheddar cheese, and the flavor was wonderful combined with the sausage.
This waffle casserole with maple sausage reminds me of a sweet and savory breakfast sandwich.
The waffles, sausage, eggs, and cheese in this casserole meld together beautifully. The breakfast casserole is not too heavy, and the waffles stand up well against the cheese, sausage, and eggs.
I’m a huge fan of breakfast casseroles. One of my most popular (and most requested) recipes is my Mexican breakfast casserole. I also love this cheesy hash brown casserole, ham and cheese breakfast casserole, and this French toast casserole. They are all so delicious.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Maple Bacon Old Fashioned from The Spiffy Cookie
Pimm’s Iced Tea from Books n’ Cooks
Sparkling Strawberry Peach Punch from For the Love of Food
Spicy Bloody Mary from Sweet Beginnings
Starbucks Copycat Chai Tea Latte from Snacks and Sips
Strawberry St Germain Gin and Tonic from Caroline’s Cooking
Triple Orange Julius from The Crumby Kitchen
Watermelon Fizz Cocktail from Who Needs A Cape?
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Breakfast Nachos from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Cheddar Cheese Bites from Family Around the Table
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Amish Breakfast Casserole from Platter Talk
Cheesy Poblano Frittata from Shockingly Delicious
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Bacon Cheddar Scones from The Nifty Foodie
Berry Baked Oatmeal from Kate’s Recipe Box
Galaxy Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Vegan Biscuits & Gravy from The Baking Fairy
Vegan Mango Peach Toaster Pastries from The Baking Fairy
Waffle Casserole with Maple Sausage from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Bacon and Cheese Loaded Hashbrown Waffles from Big Bear’s Wife
Brunch Cake from April Golightly
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from PasstheSushi
Lavender Mimosa Cupcakes from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
Peachy Keen Buttercream from Cooking With Carlee
Pineapple Paradise Layer Cake from Love and Confections
Raspberry Lemon Cake from The Redhead Baker
Ricotta Cookies from April Golightly
Salted Caramel Blondie Trifles from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza from Hardly A Goddess
Waffle Casserole with Maple Sausage Recipe
Author: Karen Kerr
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 frozen recipes, 1/2 inch thick
- 12 ounces maple breakfast sausage, broken up into small pieces
- Butter for greasing the casserole dish
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups low fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
How to cook Waffle Casserole with Maple Sausage Recipe
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat briefly until the sugar has melted. Set aside.
- Bake the waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 10 minutes per side.
- In a nonstick frying pan, cook the sausage, breaking it up, until it is cooked through. Place the cooked sausage on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Butter an 8 inch by 8 inch baking dish and place 4 waffles on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half of the sausage and 1/3 of the cheese (1/2 cup) over the waffles.
- Repeat with the rest of the waffles, the rest of the sausage, and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar syrup, salt, and pepper together and pour it over the waffles. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and weigh it down by placing another pan over the plastic wrap and topping it with can or broth boxes.
- Refrigerate the casserole for at least an hour, and preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F and let the casserole sit at room temperature while the oven is preheating.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the casserole and sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
breakfast, casserole, waffles, sausage
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.